Evelyn J. loved to trade things. She even started her own Trading Club.
- Do you like to trade?
- What are some of your favorite things to trade?
- What has been the best thing you ever received in a trade?
- Have you ever traded something away that you wish you hadn't? What was it? What did you do?
- Would you like to be in a trading club?
Class Discussion/Creative Writing: "My very own club!"
- How do people start clubs?
- What are some of the things they need to do to start a club?
- If you could start your own club, what type of club would it be? Where would you meet?
- What would you do in your club?
- Would your club have officers or not?
- Would your club have rules?
- What would the rules be?
- After discussion, the students can write about what type of club they would form and how they would set it up.
Edward G. liked to beat his mother's pots and pans with a spoon, as if they were a drum. Drums are among the oldest of instruments. They come in all shapes and sizes. Drums can be struck with sticks, hands, or a spoon!
What other things, besides pots and pans, can be used as drums?
Bring something from home that can be used as a drum - a shoe box, an empty coffee can with a plastic lid, an empty oatmeal box. Make different sounds by drumming with your fingers or with an unsharpened pencil or a stick from an ice cream treat.
Play your drum hard. Now softly. Play your drum fast. Now slowly. How would you play your drum if you were angry? If you were happy?
Class Discussion/Creative Writing: "No Little Brothers Allowed!"
Evelyn J. thought her little brother, Edward G., was a nuisance. She didn't want him to be part of her trading club, and she put a sign on her door to tell him so.
Questions to start a discussion that could lead into a writing project might be:
- Do you have a younger brother, sister, cousin, or friend?
- Is there anything that "bugs" you about him/her?
- What do you like about him/her?
- What is your favorite thing to do together?
Now let the students switch viewpoints.
- What do you think your younger brother, sister, cousin, friend likes about you?
- What do you think "bugs" him/her about you?
- What do you think their favorite thing to do with you is?